Welcome to the news archive! This is the database of news articles since the start of Zymic version six.
April Fools! Changes to free web hosting plans - April 1st, 2012 10:00 AM
Don't worry, this was an April Fools!
Dear Zymic members,
Due to increased server rental costs, electricity, hardware, and staffing costs, we have had to make some changes to our free web hosting plan specification.
- Diskspace has decreased from 2000MB to 10MB. Unfortunately too many people have been uploading large naughty files and hard-drive prices are simply too expensive these days for us to consider buying more.
- Bandwidth has decreased from 35000MB to 2MB due to increased tube maintenance costs.
- Apache needs to breathe some fresh air, and as such we will be restricting each website to a maximum of 5 images to help with the web server loads. There is also a resolution restriction of 50x50 pixels per image. If you opt for the $10 CSS upgrade (see below) you can however tile your 50x50 images to fill up more of your web pages.
- To help reduce web server load even further we will be restricting each website to a maximum of 10 visitors per month. This will ensure that popular websites do not overload our servers and take down other websites nobody visits. However, if you happen to run a successful website with more than 10 visitors per month you may wish to provide us with your credit-card details so we can bill you $0.10 per extra visit and we'll promise not to suspend you!
- Due to increased web browser licensing costs, in particular Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and the latest Internets Explorer, we have had decided to restrict access to hosted websites unless users visit your website using Internet Explorer 6 (IE6). Microsoft discount licensing costs to web hosting companies such as us for slightly older web browsers.
Although we understand some of these changes seem drastic, please understand that we provide you with free web hosting, therefore any arguements will be invalid.
Zymic Hosting Team